This Segment contains AL’s Work History and some remarkable facts along the way
Not compulsory reading but may be of interest to some
Born in Kirberg / Germany (approx. 75km N/W of Frankfurt/M.) 2nd son to 3rd generation Stonemason/Sculptor K.H. Mueller)
Fast Forward to:
- ’82-’85: Stonemason/Sculptors App’ship, Schaefer Monuments, Wiesbaden/Germany
- ’85, Aug-Dec : First visit to Australia, Heritage Stonework with Brother Harry, Sydney
Back in the good old days when strangers would greet you in the streets and ‘FREE’ live gigs were ‘ON’ 4 nights a week in ‘EVERY’ pub !
- ’86/’87: Paramedic @ Red Cross, Wiesbaden/Germany, instead of military service
Since national service was compulsory back then in Germany, I figured it made more sense being trained in how to save rather than terminate lifes !
If you should suffer a heart attack or get hit by a bus nearby, feel free to pop in for Al’s instant attention ! (on Mondays please phone 000)
- Nov.’87: Permanent Migration to Australia; Cronulla / Sydney
I bought a 36′ (11m) School Bus, fitted a bedroom at the back & a large entertainment area at the front, parked & partied anywhere and in-between
Bundeena – Botany Bay – Bondi – Byron Bay & Brisbane. To get some sun inside, i cut a hole in the roof and fitted a Hi-Ace Roof that would slide off.
My dog Gypsy was born the day i purchased the bus and we spent an amazing 5 years in our mobile home named ‘TIPANIC’. (08/’88-07/’93)
- ’88/’89: Youth Worker, NSW Youth & Community Service, Disabled Re-Integration Scheme
- ’89-’92: Foreman at H. Johnson & Co, Cemetery Masons, Botany Bay Cemetery, Sydney
- ’93: 6 spiritual months in Byron Bay, no work here, surprise surprise sold bus(07/’93)
- ’93: Established ‘Cold Chisel Carvings’, Sandstone, Marble & Granite in Byron Bay
- ’93/’95: Hired by J. Petrie, N’gate/Brisbane for the ‘Law Court Carving’ under J. Elliott
Jan.’95: This amazing project would have become the largest ‘Bas Relief’ Sandstone Carving in the southern Hemisphere. 83m²/400mm depth.Due to poor project management, over-administration and red tape, this project eventually had to be aborted and a dream shattered. Photos of this project are shown on the bottom of this page. As I discovered in October 2007 by accident, this piece of art was eventually erected in the foyer of a new government building at 33 Charlotte Street, Brisbane. Sadly there is no mention about Keith’s and my involvement as sculptors, my sole permanent reminder now is a bad back. Thanks John !
- Apr.’95: A spinal injury puts an end to my active career as a Stonemason/Sculptor
- July ’95- Aug.’96: Established ‘ARTWORX GALLERY’ at 29/31 Latrobe Tce (now ENDO’s)
- Sept.’96: Established ‘Al’s Art FX’ Signwriting at 1 Latrobe Tce.
- 2000: Expanding product range to General Printing, initial focus on Business Cards
- 2002: Expanding product range to Customised Fabric Painting & Printing (an old hobby of mine)
- Nov. ’04: Opening of ‘AL’s GARAGE’, Shop/Workshop/ArtStudio/AfterHoursPrivateBar, 1 Latrobe Tce
- January 2015: Due to health issues associated with my former work as a stone mason such as knee & shoulder/neck problems, my shop is now open only by appointment.
FUTURE AMBITION: One day buy another Full size Bus and take my business on the road, to markets and festivals.